Sunday 16 May 2010

Through different eyes...

I am writing this surrounded by fields of wild flowers, trees and rows of vines. Nope - not Hounslow but the countryside around Bergerac in the Dordogne. We travelled from here to the Abbaye at Belloc in the foothills of the Pyrenees where I was leading the annual retreat for the Anglican Chaplaincy based in Bordeaux and the Dordogne. The Chaplain is my dear friend Paul Vrolijk - one of my ordination candidates from Bristol days. What an interesting life he, his wife Janine and four beautiful children lead here. They are a Dutch family ministering to groups of Anglican christians (generally English) and the children go to the local french primary schoool! I am deeply humbled by their commitment and passion to serve God in this context and seek to connect the Good News, not just to the many English people who live in this part of the world, but also to local communities. Paul and I spent time on Friday night discussing aspects of Old Testament theology that had been sparked off by the sessions I had led with those on retreat. On Saturday night we did the same - except the subject was a bit more high brow. Ranging from Tommy Cooper, Al Murray, Jack Dee, Michael McIntyre etc How much English and Dutch humour is so alike!??? How we laughed.... it was a real tonic to be honest. Some of the jokes we shared were not particularly PC but for a large fee I will share them with you!!! The journey back from Belloc was the same, except we had Caroline Gordon Walker with us - another ordained person, so the jokes and laughter was even more raucous. Caroline threatened to record the conversation and sell it to the highest bidder...

After the Eucharist, which was led so simply and beautifully by the monks and nuns together with a large congregation of all ages, one of the monks 'hi-jacked me' and showed me around the monks quarters. He showed me some of their treasures - a crucifix that dates back to the 14th century and was dug up in a field, and a wooden carving that was of a similar age. Myself, Paul and Michael (Good News down the Street) Wooderson were invited last night to share with the monks. They were really interested about the Anglican church, womens ordination and even the sessions I was leading. They laughed so much when they suddenly realised I was the English priest who they inadvertently locked out last year.

I have cried a lot these past few days. Tears of laughter, tears of gratitude for the love and welcome I have been given by Paul's community and also the love and grace shown by the monks. Also at the prayer and concern shown to myself and Sheryl as we look to the future. All are welcome at the Altar in the Abbey, and at the Eucharist we shared last night around the dinner table the Abbot came and shared bread and wine with us.

Laughter, welcome, hospitality, tears, prayer, unity deeper than words can express, joy in simple 'human' things, shared conversation, challenge in the context of relationship and grace, eucharist as table fellowship - surely the world seen through different eyes. Dare I say - community that has the potential to transform and offer a hope and future to all.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting title as this was the theme for Spring Harvest 2010 ... seeing things through God's eyes. Can tell you more if you are interested!

    ReplyDelete