Thursday 27 May 2010

Opening the circle....

I am sorry for no blog until now. Some maybe rejoicing so apologies for disturbing you.
Came across this the other day. It is based on Brian McClaren's writing. He is someone like Rob Bell - if you Google the name you are more likely to find first all those who think they are heretics, traitors to the evangelical cause. misguided, downright evil etc
Anyway Ten questions which he thinks every person serious about following Jesus should explore? Here goes...

1.What is the overarching story line of the Bible?
2.How should the Bible be understood?
3.Is God violent?
4.Who is Jesus and why is he important?
5.What is the Gospel?
6.What do we do about the Church?
7.Can we find a way to address human sexuality without fighting about it?
8.Can we find a better way of viewing the future?
9.How should followers of Jesus relate to people of other religions?
10.How can we translate our quest into action?

McClaren does spend time in his book 'A New Kind of Christianity, Ten Questions that are transforming the Faith'  looking more closely at these questions and what it means to be a Disciple of Jesus. I welcome the openness about this sort of journey and although I might not always agree, I think the approach is so refreshing. If you are serious about being a disciple of Jesus then maybe working through these questions will help you - I hope so. You may have some of your own - then please share them.

Found this quote which resonates so strongly about how I believe I am called to follow Jesus.
He drew a circle that shut me out

Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout
But love and I had the wit to win;
We drew a circle that took him in.


No comments:

Post a Comment